1894 to 1895

Match Reports by Peter Hall and Colin Gale




v Clifton at Horfield. Lost 0-8. Team: E C Faithfull, F C Bateman, R J Rogers, J MacTier, H Rasbotham, G G Vincent, E H Seers, F Soane, J B D’Aguilar, B H Belson, F C Belson, W England, D H Bain, J Ruddick, and H Kennie. The Clifton side included W G Grace (Junior, the famed Cricketer’s son)). He and Baker scored the Bristol suburb’s tries.

A delayed start, as some of the home team were late in arriving, but it allowed the Bath men ample time to try their feet on the long thick grass which covered the Clifton Club’s arena. “The Cliftonians looked a formidable host when drawn up in a line, the team averaging quite 5ft 10ins in height, the men being big in proportion.”




v Exeter on the Recreation Ground. Won by 2 goals and 4 tries to nil. (22-0)

Team: Faithfull, Bateman, F Soane (at three-quarter), MacTier, W F Long (At 18 years old, a product of Independent College, Taunton), Seers, G G Vincent, D’Aguilar, B H Belson, F C Belson, F Derrick, W England, D Bain, Ruddick and L J Fry.


“It was after four ere the match commenced before a fairly large crowd of spectators, considering the sixpenny gate. Soane started for Bath and the leather was weakly returned. A scrum was formed and the onlookers soon had the satisfaction of seeing a splendid piece of work by the home three-quarters. Vincent getting hold from the scrum handed out to Soane, the captain transferred to MacTier, who after a brief hold passed to Long on the left wing. The last named with a beautifully smart dodgy run, got through the Exonians, and landed a try. D’Aguilar took the kick which failed. The ball was taken down to the Bath end from the kick out, and the homesters had to save. But the Bathonians were soon pressing again. MacTier was the hero of the next piece of scoring. Getting hold from a scrum he jumped through the Exeter ranks while feigning to pass, and landed a try close to the right post. D’Aguilar quickly converted. While scrummaging near the Bath 25, Exeter was awarded a free for the ball not being put in properly. The shot went wide of the goal and was caught full by Soane, who after a fast run got rid of the leather, which was secured by G G Vincent. This quick player got clear through the Exeter men being remarkably weak at collaring, and the gallant little half just managed to score, an Exeter man who endeavoured to overtake him only succeeded in pushing him over the line. The kick by D’Aguilar, a difficult one, failed. Soon afterwards the Devonian were attacking and scrums were formed dangerously near the home rut. Forward work in which Bain and D’Aguilar were conspicuous, however, took the oval to half the distance. Here scrambling play resulted in a race between Vincent and the Exeter back for the ball which was kicked over the Exeter line. The visitor reached the ball first, but he lost it, and Vincent gained another try. The Exonians now commenced to have some of the game, and their forwards put in combined fast dribbles which made things warm for Bath and a scrum was seen a few feet from the Bath line. Bain, however, managed to get hold and punted into touch. From the line out and subsequent pack Ruddick was breaking away when half time was called with Bath leading by 14 points, a goal and three tries to nil.

Shortly after the restart Bateman and MacTier by an aggressive follow up gave Bath the advantage. The leather had got very greasy, and MacTier missing a pass in consequence the game was taken into Bath ground. The homesters responding to appeals to use their feet, the forwards carried the leather into the Exeter 25, Bain, Ruddick and Belson being prominent. Two free kicks gave the visitors some relief, and good work by Labbett resulted in the ball being taken into the Bath 25, and from here it was kicked dead. Some pretty rallying close to the touch line between the two backs was witnessed. Soane forged ahead by a hard plunging run, but nothing resulted. The ball was near the home 25 flag when Bath claimed and obtained a free for the Exeter half picking up in the scrum. Soon afterwards Derrick followed up grandly, he received a check, but it was only temporary, for after a bit of scrambling play the leather was carried across the mark and Derrick scored. The ball did not rise from D’Aguilar’s kick. Long, who had been doing useful work throughout, had a chance of getting off, but the ball was too slippery to hold. Soane and Belson, junior, shone in a dribble but this incident was eclipsed directly afterwards by a marvellous exhibition of running and dodging by Long, who, receiving from Seers, corkscrewed right through the Exeter ranks and placed a try right between the posts. D’Aguilar converted and Bath won by 22 points (two goals and four tries to nil).”

The ‘A’s played early v Argyle, and confined play to one hour, with the object of finishing in time to watch the senior’s match on the new ground


v Weston-super-Mare, Away. Won 8-4. Teams: J Long, F G Bateman, F Soane, J MacTier, W F Long, G G Vincent, E H Seers, J B S D’Aguilar, O H W Bain, B H Belson, F C Belson, J Ruddick, W A Coles, L J Fry and R Whittington.

It was a fast and interesting game, but Bath did not commence scoring until within ten minutes of the finish. Bain had gone off injured five minutes into the game, whilst ‘collaring’ a Westonian. His injury was described as a contused muscle: “Medical skill has prescribed the necessary antidote, and Bain will be seen in the ranks again.”

Vincent was Bath’s saviour with two tries, D’Aguilar converting his second effort. Regarded as a ‘narrow squeak’, the late try: “……caused the spirits of the Bathonians to rise from zero to the height of enthusiasm.”


v Swindon Rangers cancelled. The First XV played the ‘A’s, winning 24-9.

Evidentially, Swindon were not affiliated to the Rugby Union, and there could be no redress for loss of revenue.

It was generally accepted that in the long term, fixtures with that club would be avoided.



“The grandstand is a substantial capacious structure, and much beyond the expectations entertained. Its use was inaugurated under unlucky auspices, and the money paid for entrance fees on Saturday could not have settled the attendant’s charges.”



v Old Edwardians, at Edgbaston. Lost 0-3. Team: J Long, F H Bateman, A E Gibson, F Belson, W F Long, E H Seers, R Carpmael, L J Fry, B H Belson, Ruddick, W England, W A Coles, H E Clarke, G E Carter and E Sandell.

This was the first of many fixtures with the Midlands club. Their ground was badly flooded. The ball was heavy and slippery and passing was out of the question. The Midlanders had the better of the dribbling game.



v Stroud, Home. Won 5-3. Team: J Long, W F Long, F (Freddy) W Anderson, J MacTier, F Bateman,

G G Vincent, E H Seers, J B S D’Aguilar, T J Fry, F C Belson, B H Belson, W England, V Soane, J Ruddick, and W A Coles.

“Soon after the visitors had started the leather from the scrum at half distance Seers got hold, made a useful sprint, handed to MacTier, and the latter got behind with a grand tricky run. D’Aguilar converted. Brilliant passing by the local outside men was frequently seen, and once Walter Long, on the left wing, looked like scoring, but he was pushed into touch. The Bath halves were very much in evidence, Vincent repeatedly spoiling the passing for the Stroud three-quarters.”



v Taunton, Away. Drawn 0-0. Played in greasy conditions, the ball was exceedingly heavy. Bath had anticipated the inclusion of Freddy Anderson, but in his absence the former Somerset half and Match Committeeman, T N Pareham played in his place. Bath were superior in the loose, but Taunton forwards repeatedly cleared their lines by smart play in the pack.

“With regard to the non-appearance of Anderson at the Taunton match, he states that he never received any intimation that he was required to play.”

“For the visitors, D’Aguilar, Belson and Coles put in some useful work, while Long was the pick of the quarter line. Pareham, in the centre, notwithstanding the fact that he had no bars on, played a useful game; but MacTier found the ground not to his liking.”







These graphic headlines capture the nature of this disaster. As far as the Pulteney Meadows were concerned, at 4 o’clock in the afternoon on Monday 12th November, it started with large puddles in the middle of both Cricket and Rugby grounds.

“A few hours later each field was several feet deep in a seething, swirling mass of water which was still rising.”

“The Recreation Ground was like a large lake and much damage was done there. The new grand stand was stormed by the irresistible flood, and was at last toppled over on its back. The water seemed to enjoy bringing a quantity of planks left on the ground against the hoarding, and several of the small trees freshly planted near North Parade-bridge were torn out by the roots. A large roller of considerable weight was completely overturned and the College Pavilion was soon surrounded……..

Till the new earth bank in the Recreation ground disappeared it had not broken, but fears are entertained whether it will suffer by its submersion.”

“The sight from the end of Johnstone Street on Tuesday morning was so unusual that it is worth while witnessing. From this point of view a huge expanse of water met the eye, the Pulteney Meadows being totally flooded. Of the Pavilion used by the Grammar School boys, only the roof was visible, while the large grand-stand recently erected by the Company on the football ground had been lifted up and thrown bodily on its back. The crossbar of the goal posts could be distinguished, and there was evidently six or seven feet of water in the centre of the field. How the bank being constructed by the riverside to obstruct the gaze of outsiders has fared, can only be known when the water recedes, but it is expected that nothing of it will remain.”



v Gloucester cancelled due to heavy flooding. There were some local accusations that the Committee had ‘funked’ the match, as some considered, that the game could have been staged on one of the higher district pitches. The ‘A’s: “acted with more spirit in the emergency” and played Avon Vale on Combe Down. The match result was disastrous, but: “tis better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.”



v Bath College, Won 29-3. “played on the Warminster Road slope.” “… – for the Warminster road pasture slopes like a lean-to roof.”

Team: Anderson, W Long, MacTier, F Belson, Seers, Vincent, V Soane, D’Aguilar, England, Ruddick, Coles, B Belson, R H Whittington and Fry. After a brief set-back, Bath took command, and there was a succession of tries scored by:- Vincent (2), Seers, Belson (3) and Belson (Jnr.). D’Aguilar converted 4.

“Jimmy Long missed his train and missed the match. An examination being close to hand he studied his medical books more closely than the railway timetable, and was non est when the teams lined out.”


v Cheltenham, Home. Lost 0-5. Team: J Long, W F Long, J MacTier, F Anderson, F Bateman, Vincent and Seers, F Soane, J D’Aguilar, the Belsons, Ruddick, Fry, England and Coles. The encounter was played in a fog, which rendered view across the ground impossible. The referee ruled that “no match” could be played, but an “exhibition” match was nonetheless, permissible. To all intents and purposes the game continued in earnest, and : “the exhibition ended in favour of the visitors by five points to nothing.”



v Swindon Rangers, Home. Won 61-0. Try scorers:- Vincent 5, W F Long, Anderson, Seers, Bateman 3, Coles, Fry, Derrick and Belson. Conversions:- Vincent, Belson 4, Fry 3. Following Seer’s try,: “B H Belson and Sandell – were placed on the other side, this making 17 playing 13.”

This had little effect – and the tries kept coming!


15/12 1894

Old Crocks match.


21st-22nd December 1894.

Very severe gales throughout the country. One hundred lives believed lost, with shipping and fishing craft figures not yet in. One of the worst gales of the century.



v Clifton, Home, Won 3-0. Team: J S Barrett, W F Long, T Fry, F Rowatt, J Long, Seers, Vincent, Soane, D’Aguilar, the Belsons, England, Ruddick, Fry and Coles. L Fry got the sole try by simply falling on the ball as the scrum broke up. A stubbornly and evenly contested game, which Bath were relieved to win.

Soane led the pack with commendable dash. Match Receipts £11 approximately.

Billed as the “Match of the Season”


v Barbarians, Home. Lost 0-14. Teams – Bath: J S Barrett, J Long, T Fry, J MacTier, F R Rowatt, Seers, Vincent, F Soane, D’Aguilar, B Belson, E J D Taylor, L Fry, W Coles, J Ruddick and W England.

Barbarians: Gwynne (Dublin University), C B Fry, E M Baker (Oxford), M Tandy and M Toller (Blackheath), N Biggs (Cardiff), R Dyas (R.M.C. Sandhurst), P Maud and H Finlinson (Blackheath), C Dixon, W Falcon, W E Tucker (Cambridge), Todd, W J Carey (Oxford), J C Goold (Liverpool).

Barbarians required a half share of the gate.

“Bath is to be congratulated, bearing in mind with whom they had to contend.”

“What power of good it does us to see the class of play we had the pleasure of enjoying on Monday. What a wholesome effect it has, how it opens your eyes and makes us realize what first class football is. The Barbarians are par excellence the touring team of Rugbeites. How they came by their title I know not, unless it has its origin in the barbarous idea of forsaking the family circle at a season when not even football, magnet that it is, should draw a man away from his homestead. Certainly they are no barbarians as the word is generally understood, but polished and scientific exponents of the noble game.”

“It was amusing to notice the disparity in height and weight between the two sets of three-quarters. ‘Twur like school boys against grown men.”

Match receipts amounted to £52. Try scorers:- Toller, Carey, Toller (converted by Biggs) and Baker.

Barbarians went on to beat Cardiff by three tries to two.



v Jesus College (Cambridge) Wanderers, Home. Won 11-6. Team: J S Barrett, W R Atty, B Lawrence, T Fry, J Long, G G Vincent, E H Seers, F Soane, D’Aguilar, B Belson, E J D Taylor, W England, J Ruddick, F C Belson and L J Fry. Bath tries from Vincent, Atty and Soane, with the final try converted by D’Aguilar. Belson the Elder, missed the second half, with a damaged knee.



v Bristol, Home. Lost 8-11. Team: Barrett, J MacTier, F R Rowett, B Lawrence, A E Fry,

G G Vincent, E H Seers, F Soane (Capt.), D’Aguilar, F C Belson, E J D Taylor, W England, L J Fry, J Ruddick and W A Coles.

CHRONICLE COMMENTS: “The visitors went off with a rush and our men seemed quite paralysed while Bristol, who had a thousand of their ‘townies’ to cheer them on, scored twice in the softest style.” A somewhat disgruntled commentator referring to some rough play, continued :”Fouling was not confined to the instance mentioned, and these unsportsmanlike tactics are a blot on the escutcheon of Bristol. This trick was the cause of Soane being stretched out winded. It is the first time I have known it happen to the sturdy Bath captain, but a thrust from a head like Davies’s under the fifth rib is enough to pump the stoutest reservoir. Fenner received a severe caution from the referee on the same score.”

Rowett scored Bath’s two tries and D’Aguilar converted the first. Bath were certainly not disgraced in this thrilling encounter.



v Wellington. Away. Lost 0-11. Very last minute cry-offs meant That Bath played with 14 men. It is probable that the heavy Christmas programme had taken its toll. “We are but human and the previous four matches were quite enough for any ordinary biped.”

The amended team: J Long, J MacTier, D H Bain, R Lawrence, A E Fry, Vincent, Heath, L Fry, W A Coles, Hyatt, C W Doveton, Simon, H Parham and two substitutes provided by the home side.



v Penarth, Away. Lost 5-18. (goal to 6 tries) Team: Gooding, MacTier, W F Long, A E Fry, A C Rock, Vincent, Seers, Soane, D ‘Aguilar, F C Belson, Taylor, England, Ruddick, Fry and Coles.

Bath took a weakened team to Penarth: “As it was, the Bathonians were superior in the scrums and it was only in the open that the good form of the Penarth men was observable.”

“I am inclined to be lenient with our men as the Christmas holidays are not yet over, but I hope this is the last time such a failing will have to be noticed.”



v Wellington cancelled due to frost.



v Cheltenham, Away. Won 13-0. A surprising win against an improving club. The home side were loud in their praises as to the way the Bath threes continually bombarded their line. Once again, there were several changes to the selected team.



v Taunton, Home. Won 3-0 (1t –0) Heavy overnight rain, followed by snow had threatened this encounter. Bath played one man short, as J Long did not turn up. In the latter stages, Frank Soane stood out from the scrum and went left centre. Following the interval: “Soane put in a clever and brilliant piece of work, which resulted in a try for his side. Bath were awarded a free kick for offside, and the captain, punting on a few yards, followed up smartly, and dribbled past six or seven Tauntonians. He took the ball over the line, where A E Fry fell on it and scored. Fry took the kick at goal, but although it was a capital shot, it failed. Taunton attacked once or twice very severely, and Bartlett looked like getting in, but lost the ball, and Sturt was collared by MacTier when looking dangerous. Bath had just saved when ‘no side’ was called.”


2/2 Torquay Athletic, 9/2 Gloucester, 16/2 Old Edwardians, 23/2 Penarth All Cancelled



match against Weston cancelled, as the representative of the Recreation Ground Company: “did not feel justified in allowing the area to be “Leicestered,” and the match could not come off, much to the disappointment of many who presented themselves at the gate.”

“The burning of coke fires is certainly detrimental to the grass, and if the Company are thinking of making some money by cricket and tennis in the summer they have a perfect right to look after themselves.”



v Keble College, Home. Lost 0-9 (0-3t). This match was hastily arranged to provide much needed match practice after an enforced lay-off. Keble were the top College and were undefeated.

“A capital defence was shown to the repeated attacks of the brilliant three-quarters in the visiting fifteen, the collaring of the homesters being remarkably certain all round. Very little aggressive work on the part of the homesters was witnessed, but now and again they got off in splendid rushes, the Bath halves generally being responsible for starting the dribbles. The ground was in such a loose and sodden state after the frost that it generally handicapped the efforts of the players, but this was somewhat in favour of Bath, who did their best with footwork. The passing, tackling, and running of the visiting quartet were much appreciated by the onlookers. Thomas and Baker were very active, especially the latter, and they were well supported by Hammond, who himself did a good share of the running and scored one of the tries. The others were obtained by Vassal and Thomas; the last named attempted all the pace kicks, but neither of them was successful.”



v Stroud, Away. Drawn 0-0. Selected Team:- E C Faithfull, E A Fry, J MacTier, R W Fanshawe, W F Long, T G Vincent, E H Seers, F Soane, J B S D’Aguilar, B H Belson, F C Belson, L J Fry, W England, W A Coles and G O Hyatt.

“Soane started for Bath, Miller returning well, and a good dribble by Dennings carried play into the visitors’ 25. After a time, however, Stroud pressed, but Vincent relieved with a grand run. Later on, Butcher got over, but was whistled back for off-side. After some play in which Vincent was conspicuous, half-time was called before either team had scored. In the second half Soane dribbled well, carrying the play to the home end, Stroud working back by some combined dribbling, but Bath carried play to the Stroud line again. When time was called neither side had scored. The game ended in a draw.”



v Bristol, Away on County Ground. Lost 0-3 (0-1t) Selected team:- H B Swabey, W F Long, E Baker, J MacTier, E A Fry, G G Vincent, F H Seers, G G Vincent, F Soane, J B S D’Aguilar, B H Belson, F C Belson, W England, L J Fry, W A Coles, and G O Hyatt.

It was a magnificent contest in which: “Soane kicked off for the visitors, and the kick being charged down Bristol at once assumed the aggressive, but after a few weak attempts at passing by the home three-quarters, Seers got away and passed to D’Aguilar who sent out to MacTier, and the latter took a drop at goal, but the attempt, though a good one, was unsuccessful. The game continued in the home ground, though the tackling was particularly keen, and each endeavour of the visitors to set their backs in motion was nipped in the bud. Some grand play on the part of Smithson, who ran in and out and sent a huge kick into touch, altered the aspect of the game, and immediately afterwards Savage, Pearce, and Dening got away together with a fine passing run, which however, broke down at Chard, who had a difficult transfer sent to him, though a moment later the same player, dropped over the Bath line, and Swabey touched down. Soon after the game was again in motion Savage made a magnificent opening, and some clever passing at length resulted in Birch scoring. Dening at a difficult angle missed the goal by about a yard. Some fine open play ensued, Bristol having all the best of matters, thanks to the efforts of young Savage. Time after time he made brilliant openings, and once he all but scored, after a run half the length of the ground. Baker, however, was too fast for him, and collared him near the Bath line. Bristol, putting any amount of dash into their efforts, pressed continually, a rare good run by Chard being a conspicuous feature of the game. Half- time: Bristol 1 try: Bath nil.

Early in the second half Vincent got clear, and smart passing by his colleagues took the game down to the Bristol quarter-line, but Savage ran to the centre, and here the ball got into MacTier’s hands, and again the visiting backs were off. But the home men tackled well, and play after this ruled even until Vincent secured from a scrum, and travelled down very near to the Bristol line. Here some exciting scrummaging took place, but the needed relief eventually came through Dewer, who dribbled to the centre. Then, after Bath had got down to the Bristol twenty-five again, Hale came to the front with a really magnificent dribble, though a clever run and kick by Baker once more put the home side on the defensive. This was followed by a capital passing run between Fry, Baker and Long, which nearly resulted in the latter scoring. A scrum was ordered right on the Bristol line, and then the ball was kicked over, and Dening touched down. The game ruled tremendously fast after this, Bristol having decidedly the worst of matters. Time after time the visitors looked certain to score, but so determinedly did the Bristol men tackle that they not only kept their lines intact, but after a while got the upper hand. Chard, who throughout had played a wonderfully good game, treated the spectators to a fine run up the wing, but he failed to get through, and was brought down close to the Bath line. Nothing further was scored. Final: Bristol, 1 try: Bath, nil.”



v Clifton, (Thursday evening) Home. Won 9-8. Team:- J Long, W F Long, F Swabey, T Fry, J MacTier, E H Seers, G G Vincent, F Soane, B H Belson, J B S D’Aguilar, W England, W A Coles, G O Hyatt, F Derrick and L J Fry.

“….after a pretty bit of play on the line Belson went away, and after a neat run succeeded in getting over. MacTier took the kick, but failed to convert. Shortly after renewing hostilities Vincent had an opening, but he lost the ball, and the game then went to the other side of the ground, England nearly getting over. A scrum in goal followed, from which the ball was passed out to MacTier who made a smart but unsuccessful attempt to drop a goal. After the kick out, Soane made some ground, his weight telling considerably, but he was pulled up, and then with a capital run one of the visiting three-quarters went away and was not stopped till he had reached the home 25 flag. Here the game settled down for a few minutes till Park-Smith, picking up the ball from the ruck, went over. The kick failed. Shortly afterwards Soane went off down the wing with a neat dribble, but he was pushed into touch. A splendid dribble by the Clifton forwards followed, and the ball would have gone over had it not been for Fry who kicked hard. One of the Clifton forwards secured however, and got close up to the line near the corner flag, whence play was transferred to the centre, and Taylor had no difficulty in getting over at the side of the post. Baker kicked the goal. Immediately afterwards the half-time whistle blew, the score being: Clifton, one goal one try; Bath, one try. On restarting Fry put in a useful run, and the Clifton territory was attacked with vigour, play being confined for some time to the visitors’ 25 flag. Scrum succeeded scrum but nothing resulted till Seers came away and attempted to pass to Fry. The pass was intercepted, but Seers again got possession, though he was whistled back for off side. Not to be denied Seers secured from the scrum and running splendidly scored under the posts. Fry missed an easy chance of converting, the ball being charged down. Just afterwards a splendid bout of passing gave the homesters another opportunity, but Lawson, the Clifton back, collared, and a series of scrums took place on the 25 line. Wheeling capitally the Bath men got the ball towards the line. A long low pass towards Fry by one of the halves caused Bath to lose some ground, but this was made up for by a dribble. A free kick for hands to Clifton helped the visitors temporarily, but the relief did not continue and in a few minutes the ball was again on the Clifton half. A well-timed kick in the rush sent the ball into the Clifton back’s hands, but Soane was on his collar, and a scrum was formed in front of the goal. The Cliftonians worked hard, however, and, with a dash carried the ball into Bath ground. J Long put in a pretty kick and the danger was staved off. Not for long though, for the visitors came down again, and Fry missing his kick one of the Clifton men nearly got over in the corner. Swabey however, saved grandly, and once more the ball went to half-way. Gradually it was edged up to the Clifton 25 flag where a long kick sent it over the line, and Swabey following up well touched down a doubtful try. D’Aguilar missed the goal, but it was a very difficult shot. Immediately afterwards the Cliftonians came off with a rush and nearly got over, but the ball was carried back to half way when the whistle sounded ‘No side,’ Bath thus winning a hardly fought game by three tries to a goal and a try (9points to 8)”


v Penarth, Kick-off 4-45pm. Home. Lost 0-6. (0-2t) Team:- J Long, W F Long, T Fry, F Soane, J MacTier, E H Seers, G G Vincent, B H Belson, J B S D’Aguilar, W A Coles, L J Fry, G O Hyatt, F Derrick and F Swabey.

“From the start it could be seen that both teams meant to play their hardest, and the game was consequently fast from the beginning to end; in fact at one time, about half way through the first moiety, it was positively furious, and the spectators cheered to their hearts’ content. The talented Penarth side deserved their win, giving Bath a lesson in fast accurate passing. For Bath, J Long had a fine game at back, whilst MacTier was the pick of the three-quartes. Vincent and Seers did well at half and Soane, D’Aguilar and Derrick were prominent in the forwards.



There was an attempt to entertain, with a Mr. Smarts Scratch XV versus Mr. Derrick’s Scratch XV on the Recreation Ground. MacTier and Perreau were among the senior players who turned out. Duck also played, and should have been in the element that his name implies, in that the game was reduced to a sodden farce, as the 3-3 draw was played out in a continual heavy downpour.



v Bridgwater Albion, Away. Lost 0-13. Bath were “well whipped,” which was surprising considering their fine performances against Bristol and Clifton and close game against Penarth. The Bath Argus commentator expressed some relief that the season was nearly over, as he did not: “want to see any more defeats recorded against them.” It was described as a very inauspicious way to wind up a season!

“In the first half the Albions showed good form, Sealey scoring a converted try. The home forwards afterwards went away, and Baker dropped a goal. Early in the second half Bond dropped a second goal for the Albions. A good run by Seers gave Bath a chance but the Albions worked the ball back. Soane dribbled to the line but failed to score. The Albions, who defended well when attacked, won by 13 points to nil.”


This page was added on 27/04/2014.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.