1943 to 1944

Match reports by Peter Hall and Colin Gale




Bath Rugby Trial. Old and new players welcomed.



v Bristol Aeroplane Co., Home. Won 38-3. (7 goals and a try to a try) Team:- D Rees, McEwen, Robinson, A Beasley, Lt. K Mills (Yorkshire), P Leahy, Lt. Raper, J Mills (Oxford Greyhounds), L James, V Rogers, Hawkes (Moseley), K R Todd, K Weiss, A Higgins and Hosking.

H. David Rees, who played for Bath, won the B.E.M. for bravery in Bath Blitz, whilst fulfilling duties in the 6th Battalion Home Guard.

Within a couple of minutes, McEwen had chalked up the first try of the season, with Rees adding the extras. Next Leahy carved out an opening, Beasley forged ahead for Mills to cross over on the other flank. B.A.C. responded with spirit and McCall scrambled over the line for an unconverted try. Beasley was next to score, then McEwen again. Rees kicked three out of four goal attempts in the first half. And seven out of eight for the match. There were second half tries from Robinson (2), Higgins and McEwen.



v Green Howards. Home. Won 11-6. Team:- H D Rees, E G McEwan, Lt. H K Mills, P/O A Beasley, Lt. K Wass, Albert Chivers, Lt. R G Raper, J G Mills, L James, J Rogers, C P Hosking, K R Tadd, W Barrow, J Hanks, A Higgins.

“Bath were all ‘over the shop’ for some time because of last minute absentees….

As a result Chivers of the Fleet Air Arm (he was a schoolboy star who subsequently helped Bath) at left centre, in a pair of boots two sizes too big and three pairs of stockings including one pair borrowed from a Commando, who therefore watched the game with – none!

It was a good gruelling game by the end.”

The Green Howards were certainly stern opposition and were the first to score with unconverted tries by James and Wood. At last, Bath got going and just before the interval Higgins scored from a 40 yard run and Rees converted. In the second half Barrow bagged two further tries for Bath.



v R.A.F. Melksham. Home. Won 15-5. Selected Team:- Sgt Logan (St Andrew’s University), H D Rees, A V Rogers, Sgt Barnes (Sheffield United), P Leahy, Flt. Lt. D Evans, Lt. R G Raper, Lt. W R Stewart, A V Rogers, Joe James, J G Mills, J Haskins, W Barrow, K Weiss, A Higgins.

*Flt. Lieut. Danny Evans, a Welsh Cap, and Education Officer at R.A.F. Colerne, was to have refereed the match, but because Bath were short he played – Dick Chaddock took the ‘whistle’. Evans now aged 35 scored and largely helped Bath to the win.” (Danny Evans became Oldfield School Headmaster and continued as a stalwart in local Rugby affairs.)

Stewart and A V Rogers made welcome re-appearances for Bath.

There was stirring leadership from Austin Higgins and first-half tries came from Raper and Stewart. Higgins was outstanding in the Bath pack, along with newcomer Haskins, from Bristol.



v R.A.F. Colerne. Home. Won 23-13. Team:- D Rees, K Wass, P/O A Beasley (H.M.S. Royal Arthur), Lt. H K Mills, Cpl. Freddie Hayman (Canadian Army), P Leahy, Lt. R G Raper R.N., J G Mills, W Barrow, J Hosking, Lt. W R Stewart, J Haskins, L Hammond, A Todd*, A Higgins. *Alan Todd’s first game. (ex Glasgow University)

Flt. Lieut. Danny Evans, who played for Bath the previous week, took the field for the R.A.F. along side Major Maurice Daly (Ireland). What an example these two were!

Nevertheless, there was grand work by the Bath pack.

“The tries of the afternoon were of Higgins – always up and doing, he ran 40 yards each time.”

Other tries from Beasley (2), Hayman, Hosking and Leahy. Hammond was successful with one conversion. Daly and Thomas crossed for the R.A.F., Danny Evans converted both and added a penalty goal.



v R.A.F. Lynham: Home. Won 19-6. Team:- J Hodder, P Leahy, Sergt. T Hicks, Flt. Lt. D D Evans, H D Rees, Major M Daly, Lt. R G Raper R.N., T G Mills, W Barrow, C P Hosking, LT. W R Stewart (RN), R Hammond, K Weiss, J Haskins A Higgins (Capt.)

Sergeant Tom Hicks R.E., home on leave, came in as a late replacement and scored a try after sixty seconds. “Hicks, who is looking ‘fit as a fiddle,’ took his pass from Daly and romped over, with the defence entirely unable to stop him.” Evans converted. Reeve scored for the visitors ”with a bright and skilful movement” Evans put Bath further ahead with a neat drop goal. Mills and Higgins added tries for Bath, with Evans converting both. Edmonds scored a second try for the visitors.


Chronicle 4/11/43 re 30/10 cancellation : “A little criticism has been heard because of the late cancellation of last week’s match…….no fault whatever of the Committee, Services sides are naturally subject to orders…..in short, the war takes precedence.

The War Savings load speaker van announced the cancellation.”



v North Bristol. Home. Won 16-0. Team:- Flt. Sgt H Logan, H D Rees, C Hodgkins (Old Westcliffians), Major de Wolf, J Hodder, P Leahy, Lt R G Raper R.N. RN, J Wass*, W Barrow, C P Hoskings, J Rogers, Lt D T Morton RN, A Higgins, Dr A Todd, J Haskins.

Last minute substitute game when a Services side was forced to cry off.

“John Wass, Captain of the Bath Rugby Club, is home on leave from the Eastern Counties where he is engaged on important work until after Christmas, and will assist his Club on Saturday.” (He actually worked for the Admiralty Lands Division)

“Bath have a wealth of forwards but backs are scarce.” Major de Wolf had just returned to the area and read this appeal in Friday’s “Chronicle and Herald.” He sportingly responded and offered to step in. He played with all his old skill and determination. “He kicked a goal in a game remarkable for the fact that the former Bristol forward, J Haskins, scored all three tries. They were his first for Bath-a memorable bunch!” David Rees kicked another conversion and a penalty.



v Army XV : Home. Won 27-3. Team:- H D Rees, Lt. H K Mills, P/O A Beasley, E Baker, A N Gooding, C E Hodgkins, R G Raper R.N., J G Mills, W Barrow, C P Hosking, J Wass, R Hammond, A Higgins, A Todd, J Haskins. The game was patronised by the Mayor, Mr. Joseph Plowman.

Sergeant W H Travers (Welsh hooker) captained the visitor’s side. The visitors dominated the early exchanges as football was of a rousing character. Against the run of play, Baker, an Old Tauntonian secured Bath’s first try and Rees converted. Then Bath varied the point of attack and Beasley ran strongly for Bath’s second, which Rees again converted. Other tries were scored by Higgins (2), Raper, Barrow and Todd. Rees converted three of the tries.

“Those “pep” talks by Bath enthusiasts in answer to a “Disgruntled Critic” who cannot have heard there is a war on, bumped up the gate on the Recreation Ground this afternoon for Bath’s meeting with an Army XV

The Rugby has been all right this season, but the support has been all wrong with not much thanks to the Service men who play for Bath and against Bath.”



v R.A.F. XV. Home. Won 32-3. Team:- Flt. Sgt H Logan, C Gooding, E J Eastcott, Major J De Wolf, P Leahy, C E Hodgkins, Lt R G Raper RN, J G Mills, W Barrow, P Hasking, Lt D T Morton RN, Lt W R Stewart RN, A Higgins, Dr. A Todd, and Lt. Comdr. Huggett.

Bath were in top form against a lively, if inexperienced R.A.F. side, running in 8 tries and 4 of them converted by Rees, to the service side’s single try by A/C Bishop..

The Bath ‘try-getters’ were Patrick Leahy (2), Rees, C Gooding, C P Hosking, Major J de Wolf, C Hodgkins and Lieut.-Commander Huggett.

E J Eastcott, who last played for Bath in 1936, made a welcome re-appearance, and ran straight and strongly. He had a hand in several scores and narrowly missed a drop kick.



v Royal Engineers XV, Home. Home. Drawn 8-8. Team:- Rees, Eastcott, de Wolf, Baker, Beasley, Hodkins, Raper, Hosking, Barrow, Mills, Rogers, Morton, Hammond, Todd and Higgins.

Bath’s run of eight wins was halted by a makeshift Royal Engineers XV. The Army side filled the vacancy at short notice, and succeeded in crossing the Bath line twice for a goal and a try.

Major de Wolf got Bath’s try, which David Rees converted. He also added a penalty.

Sergeant Tom Hicks and Ryan (both Bath players) played for the R.E. XV. Another ‘Bath’ R.E., ’Curly’ Halse, was missing because of a knee injury.

Hicks scored one of the visitors’ tries; Thomas got the other and Major Evill converted one of them. It was generally considered that the Servicemen played the better rugby.



v R.A.F. XV. Home. Won 46-0. Team:- J Hodder, Barrow, Baker, Mills, Leahy, C E Hodgkins, Rees, Mills, Sergt. G Dancer (Bedford and England Trialist), Hosking, N Owen, R Hammond, J Haskins, A Todd, A Higgins.

“The Bath pack played magnificent football from the start, and soon laid the ground work for some consistent scoring. First of all Rees landed a penalty goal and then Leahy, intercepting, ran magnificently to record the opening try, which Rees failed to convert.

Next K Mills sent Barrow for another try, which was likewise without the additional points. Baker obtained try No. 3, a clever little effort, and this time Rees, by kicking a goal, completed his half-century of points for the season.

But the best try of all came from Leahy, who darted through the middle and gave a perfect dummy before grounding the ball by the posts. Hodder made the successful conversion kick.”

The full try count was Leahy (3), Higgins (2), Barrow, Baker, J Mills, Hammond, Todd and Haskins

Rees kicked four conversions as well as a penalty and Hodder converted one try. For the visitors, it is interesting to note, that Warrant Officer Reg Collins, playing at Lock, was destined to become President of the Gloucester Rugby Club in the 1996-1997 season.



v Bristol –(In aid of Gerrard Memorial Fund). Home. Won 17-11 Team:- D Rees, H K Mills, Major M Daly, P/O A Beasley, Flt. Lt. D D Evans, Lt. R G Raper R.N., W R Stewart, A Barrow, C P Hosking, N Owen, R Hammond, J Haskins, A Todd, A Higgins (Capt.)

“After the Gerrard match, teams were entertained at ‘Red House’ by Mayor Cllr. Joseph Plowman who had played on the Rec. before for Bath College. [circa 1893]

He received first visit of Springboks 1911-12 – his father – then Mayor – and he had entertained the 15 to dinner on night before match. He received an autographed photo, which was later presented to the Club.” [Springboks played a West of England side]

Match Tickets cost 1/6d., with Souvenir programmes issued at 6d. each. The aim of the Memorial Fund was to establish a perpetual scholarship in memory of :“a brave soldier and a grand sportsman.”

Bath won this exciting and close fought encounter by 2 goals, a try and a drop goal to Bristol’s one goal, a try and a penalty.

In his final game: “Major Maurice Daly (Ireland) scored two tries for Bath and Austin Higgins (the captain) the other. Flight-Lieut. Danny Evans (Wales) dropped a natty goal while David Rees kicked a couple of conversions to bring his tally of points for the season up to 60.

Wheatley, on their right wing, scored both the Bristol tries and converted one of them. Thompson kicked the penalty goal.”

In his post-match speech, Captain Amor paid tribute to the players, some of whom had travelled long distances for the match. He also thanked Bath City F.C. for their help with the Memorial Fund: “…and if ever the Bath Club could, after the war, reciprocate their kindness they would do so readily.”



v 453 Battery S/L. Regt. Home. Won 24-6. Team:- J Hodder, P Leahy, J De Wolf, D D Evans, C Baker, Ian Lumsden (Edinburgh University), R G Raper R.N., G Dancer, A Barrow, W R Stewart, N Owen, R Hammond, A Todd, J Haskins, A Higgins.

The 453 Battery XV- Led by Sergeant W H Travers – Welsh hooker, contained a number of first class players from the Principality. The visitors provided stiff opposition. It was Ian Lumsden’s debut game, and much of Bath’s success was attributed to his filling the centre spot. Despite losing Barrow with cartilage trouble, Bath eventually ran in 5 tries, 3 converted, plus a penalty goal to 2 tries by the Service side. Flt. Lt. Danny Evans kicked the three conversions and the penalty. The try-getters were Higgins (2), Todd, Major de Wolf and Haskins. “Hence the forwards helped themselves to four out of the five. That was due to grand following up. Some of the passing was superb in the circumstances.

Collins and Priest scored for the R.A.”


Boxing Day was kept free to enable the Bath rugby players and officials and others, to act as collectors for the Gerrard Fund at the Bath City versus Cardiff cup-tie at Twerton Park.



v North Bristol. Home. Won 17-10. Team:- E Baker, A Beasley, J De Wolf, I J M Lumsden, H K Mills, D D Evans, R G Raper R.N., W R Stewart, W Barrow, C P Hosking, N Owen, R Hammond, J Haskins, A Todd, A Higgins. North Bristol gave Bath some anxious moments as they staged a second half rally, which produced all ten of their match points. At the finish, Bath had scored a goal and four tries to the visitors’ drop goal, penalty and a try. Bath tries by Lieut. K Mills (3), J Haskins and Austin Higgins (14th of the season). Flt. Lt. Danny Evans converted one of them. Mills had a particularly profitable afternoon; his straight running style, justly rewarded by three good tries. E Baker performed well at full-back.



v 455 Battery, 68 S/L. Regt. Home. Won 22-5. Team:- H Robertson (St. Andrew’s University), E A G Baker, I J M Lumsden, J De Wolf, P Leahy, C Hodgkins, R G Raper, J Rogers, W R Stewart, J Hosking, V Grenfell (a University Blue), A Beasley, J Wass, H Davies and A Higgins.

Bath won by 2 goals, 4 tries to a goal. The Welsh International hooker, L/Sgt. Travers led the Army side, which included a number of Welsh club players. Beasley was the first to touch down after crisp and clever passing by deWolf and Lumsden. The visitors were briefly ahead when Priest scored after a determined rush, and Sgt. Isaacs, the Pontypool forward kicked the goal. Austin Higgins bagged two tries, to bring his season tally to 16. Other Bath tries by Petty Officer Beasley, Major de Wolf and I F M Lumsden, both of whom ran beautifully. de Wolf converted two. Bath remained unbeaten.



Chronicle reported on Bath achieving over 300, with a record to date, of played 14, Won 13, Drawn 1 , Lost none. Points For 315, Against 79. Austin Higgins had scored 48 points (16 tries) and David Rees 58 (all but three by kicking). Bath had scored five times as many tries as their opponents – 75 to 15.



v Parachute Regiment: Home. Won 30-6. Team:- H Robertson, A Beasley, J De Wolf, E A G Baker, Sgt. T Hicks, C E Hodgkins, R G Raper R.N., J Hasking, J Wass, W R Stewart, D T Morton, N Owen, W A Todd, J Haskins, A Higgins (Capt.) Lance Corporal D Thomas of Llanelly, who had 14 caps for Wales ‘dropped’ in for this fixture to fill a gap caused by a cancellation. Bath were without Ian Lumsden, who had returned to Edinburgh University. The visitors included two Rugby League forwards. Interestingly, their left winger, Lieut. Firth, was not only a Yorkshire rugby player of note, but also an English Soccer international. Sgt. Tom Hicks, on leave, came in for Lieut. Mills.

The opposition proved to be stiff, aggressive and swift from the start. Nevertheless, Bath took the lead with a brilliant drop goal by de Wolf, followed by a try from Hicks. Bath’s second half tries were scored by Beasley (3) and Higgins (2), and de Wolf converted 4. For the visitors, Sheddon and Thomas scored tries.



v R.A.F. Locking: Home. Won 30-3. Team:- H Robertson, E A G Baker, J De Wolf, D D Evans, Lieut. L A D Knight, C E Hodgkins, H D Rees R.N., C P Hosking, J Wass, W R Stewart, D T Morton, N Owen, A Todd, Marine E J Eastcott, and A Higgins (Capt.)

Austin Higgins scored 2 more tries to bring his tally up to 20 for the season so far. David Rees secured 3 conversions, giving him 64 points for the season. Lieut. Knight playing in borrowed kit and outsize boots, scored two of the tries. Doctor W A Todd collected a brace and full-back Robertson touched down after a fine handling movement. Danny Evans kicked the penalty goal.



v R.A.F. Colerne. Home. Won 14-0. Team:-H Robertson, H K Mills, J De Wolf, A Beasley, L A W Knight, C Hodgkins, D Rees, D T Morton, J Wass, W Barrow, N Owen, W R Stewart, J Haskins, A Todd, A Higgins (Capt.) Bath won by a goal, a try and 2 penalty goals without reply.

The visiting side were augmented by Bath players Corporal F Hayman and Marine E J Eastcott. Flt. Lt. Danny Evans played a prominent part in captaining the R.A.F. side, and Bath were severely tested by their sheer exuberance. Bath were first to score with a try by Beasley after de Wolf had intercepted. Rees converted to bring his season points tally to 66. Wass landed a penalty just on half time. Rees kicked a second-half penalty and Beasley scored an unconverted try.



v Bristol. The only Away trip of the season. Lost 5-6. Team:- H Robertson, H K Mills, J De Wolf, A Beasley, E A Baker, D D Evans, R G Raper R.N., W Barrow, J Wass, D T Morton, N Owen, W R Stewart, J Haskins, A Todd, A Higgins.

Bath lost their unbeaten record: “The reason was the failure of the pack to get the ball in the tight in the second half after holding the opposition before the interval.”

Bath had actually led at the interval after Lieut. K Mills scored a try, which Robertson converted. Bristol countered with two unconverted tries. John Wass took a nasty knock and was off the ground for a quarter of an hour soon after the start. “Bath were better outside, but the Bristol pack, with Murphy outstanding, carried the day.”



v R.A.F. Lynham. Home. Won 13-3. Team:- H Robertson, Marine B S Rees (Llanelly), Major J de Wolf, Flt. Lt. D D Evans, P/O A Beasley, C E Hodgkins, Lt. R G Raper R.N., Lt. W T Morton R.N.V.R., W R Stewart R.N., W Barrow, C.P.O. J Rogers, N Owen, W A Todd, A J Haskins and A Higgins.

The visitors started in a keen and determined manner, which was nearly rewarded with a try. It was some time before Bath could respond with constructive play. Forays by Beasley, de Wolf and Higgins were frustrated by determined tackling. Danny Evans eventually opened the scoring with a forty yards penalty, and the R.A.F. levelled with an unconverted try by Gear. Then some delightful inter-passing opened up a try for de Wolf, which Evans converted. Bath continued to dictate the run of play, leading to a try by Higgins (his 21st of the season) in second half, again converted by Evans.



There were not enough players available to travel to a Bridgwater game Easter Monday.



v R.A.F Filton – Match cancelled.



v Gloucester Aircraft Co. Home. Won 29-0. Team:-H Robertson, W Barrow, B A G Baker, J de Wolf, , A Beasley, C C Hodgkins, R G Raper R.N., N Owen, , Capt. Fraser, D T Morton, C.P.O. Rogers, (J Wass selected), P G H Curtis, A Higgins, Lt. Com. W R Stewart, Dr. W A Todd.

The original selection included all three Civil Servants who had admirably skippered the Bath side since the outbreak of War. As at turned out, John Wass was called away on government work, so the trio did not meet up as planned. Bath won by 4 goals and 3 tries to nil, but it was a welcome outing for the aircraft workers. Unfortunately, there were five alterations to their selected side and they also arrived 20 minutes late.

Curtis, on leave from the Middle East, scored the first try. Higgins scored twice, bringing his tally to 23 for the season. Allan Todd scored two and P G H Curtis scored a second try. Raper and de Wolf supplied one each and de Wolf scored four conversions.



v R.A.F. St. Athans Match cancelled pitch unfit due to frost.



v 455 Battery 68th S/L Regt. Nibley. Home. Won 23-9 Team:- H Robertson, Sapper D Power (Maesteg), Flt. Lt. D D Evans, Major J de Wolf, P/O A Beasley, C E Hodgkins, Lt. R G Raper, Capt. Cutler (R.A.M.C., Aldershot Services), Chief Writer J Rogers, W Barrow, N Owen, J Wass, J Haskins, Dr W A Todd, and A Higgins.

The temporary attachment of Captain Cutler, brought Bath’s hooker strength up to four, the others being Chief Writer Rogers, W Barrow and John Wass. On the day, Cutler had the unenviable task of marking Travers, the Welsh hooker!

For the first time that season, the Bath line was crossed three times. However, it was a comfortable win with Danny Evans contributing 14 points, made up of a dropped goal, 2 tries and 2 conversions. Austin Higgins improved on his try count, touching down for the 24th time and P/O Beasley scored twice. Newcomer, Sapper Power, did well on the wing, and Captain Cutler did a commendable job in confrontation with Travers. Both forwards and backs were involved with good handling movements, in a generally satisfactory game.



v R.A.F XV. Home. Won 11-8. Team:- E A G Baker, Sapper D Power, Flt. Lt. D D Evans, J Hodder, P/O A Beasley, C E Hodgkins, Lt. R G Raper, N Owen, W Barrow, Lt. D T Morton, Chief Writer J Rogers, J Wass, Dr. A Todd, Lt. Com. W R Stewart, A Higgins.

It was a close call, with a thrilling finish and the spectators gave loud voice in their appreciation of an exciting game: “A few minutes from the close the visitors scored. Bath stormed the opposition line and added a try in the nick of time.” Two opposing Welsh caps excelled; Danny Evans for Bath and F/O Idwal Rees for the R.A.F. (Rees was destined to become Headmaster of Cowbridge Grammar School, and Danny Evans Head of Oldfield School, Bath).

Danny Evans kicked a penalty goal, scored a try and converted one. Sapper Power gave a polished display on the right winger, which he crowned with a good try.

It was farewell to Doctor Allan Todd who had advised that he was leaving the R.U.H., to join the Merchant Navy as a surgeon.



Match with Artillery side cancelled and John Wass unable to find substitute at short notice.


v Rotol Airscrews. Home. Lost 3-12. Team:- J Hodder, Sgt. T Hicks, Major J de Wolf, Flt. Lt. D D Evans, Dr. P Leahy, C E Hodgkins, Lt. R G Raper, W Barrow, D T Morton, N Owen, Chief Writer J Rogers, Lt. Comm. W R Stewart, P/O A Beasley, A Higgins and H Davies. There was a preponderance of Cheltenham players in the visit of this Gloucestershire works side, and they took an early lead when Walden’s drop-kick scraped over the bar. Then Leahy celebrated a welcome return with a good try initiated by de Wolf. Bath were unlucky with several succeeding forays and Evans missed a penalty chance. The visitors deserved their victory, because they handled better and took their chances. The visitors scored two second half tries by Halford, one of which Pryse converted.


R.A.F. Yatesbury cancelled for following Saturday 8/4/44.



v R.A.F. Pembury. Home. Won 6-5. Preliminary selections:- J Hodder, A Beasley, J de Wolf, P Leahy, C E Hodgkins, W Barrow, N Owen, A Higgins, Abel, J Rogers, Lt. Jones. Major de Wolf was delegated to contact locally based players to fill some vacant positions.positions. The R.A.F. side contained a number of “crack” Welsh players. Bath scraped through with a try and a penalty goal to a goal by the visitors. D H Rees (Welsh Universities) scored the visitors’ try , which was converted by Flying Officer Idwal Rees (Wales). “Midway through the first half Major J de Wolf kicked a penalty goal; while late in the game W Barrow registered a try, Austin Higgins- who badly needs a try to bring his tally for the season up to 25-giving him the final pass practically on the line.” In both cases, tries were scored by forwards.


At this point, there is a story that a woman paid the princely sum of 1/6 at the gates, for what she supposed was a Fun Fair. “There were games – Rugby and tennis – but not very much fun was provided by either.” It was nevertheless, good holiday rugby and attracted satisfactory gate money, including a substantial collection from the Bath citizens standing in the Pavilion car park – an area known as “Scotsmen’s Gallery!”



v R.A.F. St. Athan Home. Lost 5-12. Team:- H Robertson, Major Ellis, Major J De Wolf, D D Evans, Sgt. Renwick, C E Hodgkins, Lt. R G Raper, Lt Jones, W Barrow, Chief Writer J Rogers, Lieut. Mark, Sgt. Hynes, Lt. Comm. W R Stewart, Sgt. Priest, and A Higgins.

The visitors brought a strong side, largely comprised of South Wales and North country players, and importantly – Cpl Mycock of Harlequins and England. Bath were slow to get going, then several times came near to scoring. de Wolf made one magnificent opening, but the attack broke down with a forward pass in front of the posts.

“It was good to see Higgins secure his 25th try – it was loudly applauded. Evans supplied the ‘extras.”

Despite the loss, everyone enjoyed a bright and open game, which was a fitting finale to a successful season.


This was John Wass’s last season “on the eve of his 40th birthday.”

Player Record 1943-44:- Two players, Higgins and Rees – scored 75 points, Flt. Lt. D Evans 61 points Major J de Wolf 47 points.







This page was added on 27/05/2014.

Comments about this page

  • Great to read about my wonderful Grandad, a sporting talent , Major J. de Wolf. I was born Sarah de Wolf. I have some photos of him in his rugby team, and recognised him in your photo collection. Thank you.

    By Sarah Whitby (25/09/2016)
  • Sarah
    I have now produced a profile for your grandfather
    Thank you for your interest

    By Geoff Pillinger (30/10/2016)
  • Sarah
    Thank you for your comments
    I am in the process of creating a Player Profile for John so if you can help with any info or a photograph of your grandfather in his playing days I would be very grateful
    If you can scan the photos please email them to me. If you wish me to scan them and then return the masters please let me know

    By Geoff Pillinger (29/09/2016)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.